Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where and when is the Boston Haunted Walk?
The Boston Haunted Walk will once again be hosted from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM on Sunday, October 22, 2023, at The Garden at Elm Bank located at 900 Washington Street, Wellesley, MA. This event is rain or shine! Registration is $25 for adults. Children under 12 and current patients are free of charge. If you’re not able to join us in person, you can still walk virtually! For help registering or setting up your virtual or in-person fundraising page, contact BostonDonorRelations@shrinenet.org, 617-371-4807.
2. What does the Boston Haunted Walk support?
All proceeds from the Boston Haunted Walk benefit Shriners Hospitals for Children — Boston and support and advance world-class pediatric burn care, reconstructive plastic surgery and cleft lip and palate care, always regardless of families’ ability to pay or insurance status. We receive patient referrals from all over the United States and abroad. Our comprehensive family-centered approach combines the highest quality patient care with the most novel advancements in research. We value our affiliation with our medical and research partners at Massachusetts General Hospital. Together we are healing bodies and minds, treating the whole child with expertise, compassion and kindness.
3. How do I register for the Boston Haunted Walk 2023?
Register online at BostonHauntedWalk.org or email BostonDonorRelations@shrinenet.org or call 617-371-4807, if you need assistance with registration and customizing your page!
4. Should I have a costume?
Family-friendly costumes are optional but always encouraged! Please make sure your costume is not gory, scary and doesn’t include balloons and confetti, which would harm the natural environment. This year, we will have a costume contest for both children and adults so come dressed in your Halloween best and maybe you’ll go home with a prize!
5. How do I fundraise?
The Boston Haunted Walk site is super easy to use when setting up your team and fundraising page! We have also put together an AWESOME fundraising toolkit for you, and a section with helpful tips in the Team Captain Central section! By sharing your participation and fundraising goal with friends and family through email and social media, you can inspire others to help our pediatric patients live the most fulfilling lives regardless of the challenges they may face through their healing journey! We are also here to help, so please do not hesitate to contact BostonDonorRelations@shrinenet.org, 617-371-4807 for fundraising assistance.
6. How do I join the conversation on social media?
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter at @BostonShriners and on LinkedIn at @ShrinersBoston!
- Post pictures and fundraising updates using the hashtag #BOSHauntedWalk!
- Check out our fundraising toolkit for easy-to-use social media posts!
- We have created social media graphics for you to easily download and share. Simply click on the image, then right-click to download and save
7. Will I receive any prizes or giveaways?
All registered walkers will receive a Boston Haunted Walk swag item! There will be day of event raffle prizes as well and a few more surprises!
8. Will there be food and activities?
Yes, there will be light refreshments and non-alcoholic drinks for all participants. In addition, we will have a photo booth, face painting, and crafts project for kids of all ages to enjoy.
9. I’m interested in sponsorship opportunities. What options are available?
Sponsorship opportunities start at $1,000 and details are available at Sponsor Alley. To learn more, contact BostonDonorRelations@shrinenet.org, 617-371-4807
10. Is there parking?
Yes, there is ample parking at The Garden at Elm Bank! Signage and parking attendants will guide you to parking lots at the top of the hill!
11. Can I bring my dog?
Unfortunately, The Garden at Elm Bank does not allow dogs. No emotional support animals allowed. Please leave furry friends at home. If you have a medical need for a Service Dog, please contact us at BostonDonorRelations@shrinenet.org and we will try our best to make accommodations.
12. I would like to make an offline donation, can I send a check?
Yes, you may send an offline donation, please make your check payable to Shriners Hospitals for Children – Boston, be sure to include in memo line Boston Haunted Walk and team or individual name you are supporting.
Offline sponsorships and donations may be sent to:
Shriners Hospitals for Children – Boston
Attn: Donor Development
51 Blossom Street
Boston, MA 02114
If you have additional questions, please contact
BostonDonorRelations@shrinenet.org or 617.371.4807.
Thank you for supporting The Most Amazing Care Anywhere and Shriners Hospitals for Children – Boston!
13. I’m traveling from pretty far away. Are there any hotels that will give me a discount on staying over a night for the Boston Haunted Walk?
YES! We’ve partnered with the Sheraton Boston Needham Hotel to offer a room block for people wanting an option to stay locally. Be sure to book your room by September 21! Access the room block here.
Team Captain Central
What does it mean to be a Boston Haunted Walk team captain?
As a Team Captain, your primary responsibilities are to:
- Set a financial goal for your team – we recommend $1,000 but you can adjust up or down as you progress!
- Set a goal to recruit team members from your network of coworkers, friends, and family members to register for the Boston Haunted Walk. There’s no limit to the size of your team!
- Use our Boston Haunted Walk event platform to send personal emails to recruit members, raise funds, or track your online donations. Encourage your team members to do the same by setting up their personal fundraising page within your Team!
- Send regular updates to your team members encouraging them to set and surpass their fundraising goals!
- Schedule time to check in with your team, meet for walks, and schedule a team kick off – take pictures and share them with us using #BOSHauntedWalk on social media!
- Offline donations are accepted so have your team members send them to Shriners Hospitals for Children – Boston, Donor Development at 51 Blossom St, Boston, MA 02114! Be sure to include your team name so we can credit your team with donations you collect!
How do I create my team page?
It only takes a minute! Click “Register” and select “Create a Team” when prompted. Enter your spooky team name and you’re on your way!
Add a photo of your team, your reason for fundraising, fundraising goal, and more! This is where you tell your team’s story. You’re on your way!
Once your campaign is set up, tell everyone about it! Send texts and emails, use social media, and watch your fundraising efforts succeed!
Team Captain Timeline
8-12+ Weeks before the Boston Haunted Walk!
- Register your team
- Build out your team fundraising page
- Set your team goals
- Begin recruiting members – email, text, call, and social media
- Find out your company’s matching gift policy
4-8 weeks before the Boston Haunted Walk!
- Hold a team kickoff party
- Continue recruiting team members
- Remind your team members to turn in any offline donations (cash & checks)
- Email your team with important event updates and information
- Begin collecting donations!
2-4 weeks before the Boston Haunted Walk!
- Host a team fundraiser – silent auction, bake sale, cornhole tournament, or anything you can think of!
- Email your team with weekly updates
- Be sure your team is all registered!
October 22, 2023 - Day of Boston Haunted Walk!
- Meet your team at The Garden at Elm Bank, 900 Washington St, Wellesley, MA!
- Turn in additional pledges to the Donor Development team
- Take a team pic and post on social media using #BOSHauntedWalk
- Enjoy the day and celebrate the difference you make in the lives of over 6,000 pediatric patients who seek care at the Boston Shriners Hospital every year!
Post- Boston Haunted Walk!
- Collect and turn in additional donations
- Congratulate and thank team members for their hard work
- Host a thank you wrap-up party and recognize top team members
Thank you for your leadership as a team captain! We know that even captains need support, so please feel free to contact us anytime at BostonDonorRelations@shrinenet.org or 617.371.4807! All proceeds from the Boston Haunted Walk support the world-class pediatric burn care, reconstructive plastic surgery, and cleft lip and palate care at the Boston Shriners Hospital, always provided regardless of a family’s ability to pay or insurance status.
Sunday, October 22, 2023
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter. See pictures and videos of our walk using the hashtag #BOSHauntedWalk
Social Media & Fundraising Toolkits
Recruit & Fundraising
Save the Date